Friday, June 5, 2009

French smells

Have you noticed that often times memories are closely linked with our senses? I got off the plane in Paris and was reminded of this as I stepped outside the airport. Accompanied with a gust of wind was a wiff of memories. Since then, I continue getting new wiffs, and just smile to myself...*sigh* oui, C'est la France!

Voila, here's a few:

~The French air. It's different, mixed with cigarette smoke. (The gust of wind at the airport...)

~Cheese breath. Sometimes mixed with a scent of wine. (Keep in mind there are many different kinds of cheese here, many strong ones. The first man I talked to on the bus into Paris definitely had cheese and wine on his flight.)

~The Catholic Cathedrals. Either the old and drafty stone structure, or the candles lit for prayers, or perhaps the two mixed together leave a distinct smell to me.

~B.O. ... it's unique and it's everywhere.

~The occasional smell of french perfume when you greet kissing cheeks, les bises. They just might pat their cheeks with perfume I think.

~The boulangerie/patisserie. Honestly, it's heaven!

~The pleasant scent of the lilac bushes we would walk by on the way to church in Bordeaux. I'm looking forward to that :)

P.S. I got my luggage...!

No comments:

Post a Comment